A little about us…
We are a statewide, grassroots membership organization that fights for social, racial, economic, and environmental justice. We organize in communities to build power. We collaborate with organizations and coalitions in communities across New York to win on key issues. Our member-driven organizing campaigns focus on issues at the state, local, and federal levels, including ending mass incarceration, public education funding, housing, health care, money in politics and taxing the rich. We play a leadership role in organizing major statewide coalitions and campaigns fighting for bold policy changes.
We’re looking to add a Statewide Organizer to our team to support our health care campaigns.
This position will do statewide work, but ideally will be based out of Syracuse or the surrounding area. Candidate can live in WNY, Rochester region or Syracuse. They will report to the deputy legislative director. If you have strong organizing and campaigns experience, a serious commitment to health care justice and understanding of the issues, and you like working with a diverse group of people committed to social change, come join our growing organization!
Citizen Action of New York takes pride in hiring staff who share our values & characteristics.
- Commitment to Citizen Action’s mission and vision and passionate about issues of social, racial, economic and environmental justice
- Ability to think strategically and creatively to solve problems
- A high degree of professionalism and professional maturity
- Collaborative work style and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and with people from a variety of different backgrounds
What you’ll do and the impact you'll make:
Primary duties of the Statewide Organizer are building grassroots support to achieve campaign implementation and working in collaboration with lead organizers in regional chapters to develop & implement grassroots strategy and tactics that advance healthcare justice policy priorities. Responsibilities include:
- Drive a grassroots, leadership-development organizing strategy to build the power to win health care justice in communities across New York;
- Supports the development and implementation of health care justice campaigns strategy;
- Coordinates campaign operations with coalition and organizational partnerships;
- Public education & issue education of staff/member-leaders across all regions;
- Support the training and leadership development of people directly impacted in regions across the state;
- Assists in drafting and editing campaign materials, talking points, organizer toolkits, and other advocacy documents;
- Organizes action days, actions, mobilizations, phone banks, media coverage and other activities as part of our health care justice campaigns;
- Supports social media and digital organizing strategy.
- Responsible for regularly communicating campaign updates and needs to staff, members and volunteers
- Perform administrative duties including scheduling of meetings, composing routine correspondence, note taking, tracking of key legislation.
- Help to coordinate, plan, and execute internal & external meetings, strategy sessions and public events while ensuring that leadership takes part in all aspects of these activities.
- Oversee the execution of grant deliverables including coordination of communications, organizing, and strategic work of coalition partners
- Recruit diverse coalition partners into the health care work of the organization and our coalitions
Who you are and what you've accomplished:
- Three to five or more years of experience organizing issue campaigns;
- Highly organized and able to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment;
- Experience working with a diverse coalition of grassroots, business, policy,and advocacy partners;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- A creative approach to problem-solving, including strong analytic, strategic and planning skills;
- Ability for regular statewide travel, including having a reliable car;
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Statewide work, position based out of Western NY (Buffalo region), Rochester NY or Syracuse, NY. Candidates should reside in or around the Syracuse area.
- Understanding of health care policy issues.
- Experience with Microsoft & Google Suite.
- Familiarity with databases & tracking systems. Knowledge of local, federal, and/or New York State politics.
- Thorough knowledge of organizing and political campaign strategies, planning and execution. Demonstrated success in organizing communities on issue campaigns through activities like list building, phone banking and canvassing, committee creation and support, direct action event planning, and membership recruitment.
- Ability to work independently with members in complex political situations.
- Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships and to work in a team.
- Willingness to work as part of a team, recognizing that compromise may be necessary in order to move the work forward.
- A deep commitment to racial, gender, and economic justice.
- Working collaboratively in an organization at the forefront of building power across NYS
- Competitive salary
- 100% paid employee monthly medical and vision premiums
- Access to mental health and dental plans
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Monthly cell phone stipend
- 12 organization-paid holidays, generous vacation
- Biannual statewide staff meetings
Salary: The salary for this position is $52,000-60,000, depending on experience. Full health benefits.
Relocation stipend available.
Please note, all benefits are subject to change.
Citizen Action of New York is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking for the most passionate people who want to join our team. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants may be entitled to reasonable accommodations under the terms of the ADA and state/local laws. Please let us know if you need assistance participating in the interview process.